FW: interesting point of view........

Curator's note: This is a strange version of this previously-posted RW FWD:



> While I do not agree with everything she says, ?I think she presents an interesting point of view.?

> An interesting? Black woman's view:
>
> Anne Wortham is Black, an Associate Professor of
> Sociology at Illinois State University and continuing
> Visiting Scholar at Stanford University 's Hoover
> Institution.? She is a member of the American Sociological
> Association and the American Philosophical Association.? She
> has been a John M. Olin Foundation Faculty Fellow, and
> honored as a Distinguished Alumni of the Year by the National
> Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Ed ucation.? In
> fall 1988 she was one of a select group of intellectuals who
> were featured in Bill Moyer's television series, "A World of
> Ideas."? The transcript of her conversation with Moyers has
> been published in his book, A World of Ideas.? Dr. Wortham is
> author of The Other Side of Racism: A Philosophical Study of
> Black Race Consciousness which analyzes how race
> consciousness is transformed into political strategies and
> policy issues.? She has published numerous articles on the
> implications of individual rights for civil rights policy,
> and is currently writing a book on theories of social and
> cultural marginality.? Recently, she has published articles
> on the significance of multiculturalism and Afrocentricism in
> education, the politics of victimization and the social and
> political impact of political correctness.? Shortly after an
> interview in 2004 she was awarded tenure.
>
> This article by her is another point of view......
>
>
> No He Can't
> by Anne Wortham
>
> Fellow Americans,
>
> Please know: I am black; I grew up in the segregated
> South.? I did not vote for Barack Obama; I wrote in Ron
> Paul's name as my choice for president.? Most importantly, I
> am not race conscious.? I do not require a black president to
> know that I am a person of worth, and that life is worth
> living.? I do not require a black president to love the ideal
> of America .
>
> I cannot join you in your celebration.? I feel no
> elation.? There is no smile on my face.? I am not jumping
> with joy.? There are no tears of triumph in my eyes.? For
> such emotions and behavior to come from me, I would have to
> deny all that I know about the requirements of human
> flourishing and survival, - all that I know about the history
> of the United States of America, all that I know about
> American race relations, and all that I know about Barack
> Obama as a politician.? I would have to deny the nature of
> the "change" that Obama asserts has come to America .? Most
> importantly, I would have to abnegate my certain
> understanding that you have chosen to sprint down the road to
> serfdom that we have been on for over a century.? I would
> have to pretend that individual liberty has no value for the
> success of a human life.? I would have to evade your
> rejection of the slender reed of capitalism on which your
> success and mine depend.? I would have to think it somehow
> rational that 94 percent of the 12 million blacks in this
> country voted for a man because he looks like them (that
> blacks are permitted to play the race card), and that they
> were joined by self-declared "progressive" whites who voted
> for him because he doesn't look like them.? I would have to
> wipe my mind clean of all that I know about the kind of
> people who have advised and taught Barack Obama and will fill
> posts in his administration, - political intellectuals like
> my former colleagues at the Harvard University's Kennedy
> School of Government.
>
> I would have to believe that "fairness" is the
> equivalent of justice.? I would have to believe that man who
> asks me to "go forward in a new spirit of service, in a new
> service of sacrifice" is speaking in my interest.? I would
> have to accept the premise of a man that economic prosperity
> comes from the "bottom up," and who arrogantly believes that
> he can will it into existence by the use of government force.
> I would have to admire a man who thinks the standard of
> living of the masses can be improved by destroying the most
> productive and the generators of wealth.
>
> Finally, Americans, I would have to erase from my
> consciousness the scene of 125,000 screaming, crying,
> cheering people in Grant Park, Chicago irrationally chanting
> "Yes We Can!"? Finally, I would have to wipe all memory of
> all the times I have heard politicians, pundits, journalists,
> editorialists, bloggers and intellectuals declare that
> capitalism is dead - and no one, including especially Alan
> Greenspan, objected to their assumption that the particular
> version of the anti-capitalistic mentality that they want to
> replace with their own version of anti-capitalism is anything
> remotely equivalent to capitalism.
>
> So you have made history, Americans.? You and your
> children have elected a black man to the office of the
> president of the United States , the wounded giant of the
> world.? The battle between John Wayne and Jane Fonda is
> over - and that Fonda won.? Eugene McCarthy and George
> McGovern must be very happy men.? Jimmie Carter, too.? And
> the Kennedys have at last gotten their Kennedy look-a-like.
> The self-righteous welfare statists in the suburbs can feel
> warm moments of satisfaction for having elected a black
> person.? So, toast yourselves: 60s countercultural radicals,
> 80s yuppies and 90s bourgeois bohemians.? Toast yourselves,
> Black America .? Shout your glee Harvard, Princeton , Yale,
> Duke, Stanford, and Berkeley.? You have elected not an
> individual who is qualified to be president, but a black man
> who, like the pragmatist Franklin Roosevelt, promises to - Do
> Something!? You now have someone who has picked up the baton
> of Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.? But you have also
> foolishly traded your freedom and mine, - what little there
> is left, - for the chance to feel good.? There is nothing in
> me that can share your happy obliviousness.

8 comments:

bendk said...

"I'm black and I support a libertarian(which is weird cuz I'm black) and love welfare getting cut but race doesn't matter (except mine, I'm black) See, a (black) man like me is supporting a far right ideal, so it's not racist! I'm black, no take-blacks."

How long before these republicans realize that they're the one's with "liberal guilt"?

Hibryd said...

RON PAUL! Because free markets magically make food safe! Because "states' rights" are so important that Texas should be able to make gay sex illegal! Because fiat money is only backed by psychological value, unlike $1000-an-ounce gold!

Marc with a C said...

A black woman who supports Ron Paul? I call bullshit.

If not, she's in a demographic whose population is exactly 1.

gruaud said...

I'll give Ms. Wortham this:

She starts out great. She doesn't require a black president to know that she's a person of worth or to love the ideal of America. Agree 100%!!

But then it just descends into paranoid gibberish.
Yeah, I voted for Obama because he doesn't look like me. That is just brilliant, Ann.

The money quote: "The battle between John Wayne and Jane Fonda is over - and that Jane Fonda won."

I am so stealing this.

Thx 4 Fish said...

She's not race conscious--but everyone who voted for Obama is! And she ought to know because she's not race conscious!

The Repub's can file this under their "People I wouldn't normally listen to--except when they tell me what I want to hear" file, which includes Pravda, Canadians, Brits and any non-American and that illegal immigrant Orly Taitz. (I don't know if she's illegal, but I haven't seen her green card or certificate of citizenship so I assume I am correct.)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that Ms. Wortham isn't the ONLY AA who didn't vote for Obama. But really: so what? Who cares?

I happen to be white, and hey, I voted for Obama, but guess what? I didn't vote for Obama BECAUSE he's AA. I voted for him bc I agreed more w/his viewpoints more than John McCain's. I thought BHO would represent ME better than McCain, and I really didn't give a rat's patoot what Obama's skin color is.

But I agree w/Bebe 99: repukes race to RWF this weird crap ONLY bc it agrees w/their wingtarded views. Whatever...

Anonymous said...

I'm white and educated, and I did not vote for McCain!

I did not vote for him because I did not agree with him, even though he is white, like me! And I could not join in mourning his loss with a bunch of other white people, because I was glad he'd lost!

You should listen to me because I am a non-race-conscious white person who did not vote for a white guy just because he is white!

Because by being white and not supporting the white guy, I am somehow extra-super-credible!

(My head hurts now.)

Anonymous said...

This woman is n-u-t-t-y. Her race is irrelevant bc she speaks "teabagger." White or black, if you speak "teabagger," then you're in like flynn with that crowd.

Since I don't know how to speak "teabagger," I say to this lady: good luck hanging out with THAT crowd, babe!

 
Creative Commons License
MyRightWingDad.net is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.