Fwd: No He Can't

Wow! This is the first thing that my father has sent me that I thought was worth the read. Some things I agree with and some things I don't but worth the read. -Jacqueline



------begin forward-------

Subject: No He Can't


An interesting look at a Black woman's view:

Subject: No He Can't

Anne Wortham is Associate Professor of Sociology at Illinois State University and continuing Visiting Scholar at Stanford University 's Hoover Institution. She is a member of the American Sociological Association and the American Philosophical Association. She has been a John M. Olin Foundation Faculty Fellow, and honored as a Distinguished Alumni of the Year by the National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education. In fall 1988 she was one of a select group of intellectuals who were featured in20Bill Moyer's television series, "A World of Ideas." The transcript of her conversation with Moyers has been published in his book, A World of Ideas.

Dr. Wortham is author of The Other Side of Racism: A Philosophical Study of Black Race Consciousness which analyzes how race consciousness is transformed into political strategies and policy issues. She has published numerous articles on the implications of individual rights for civil rights policy, and is currently writing a book on theories of social and cultural marginality. Recently, she has published articles on the significance of multiculturalism and Afrocentricism in education, the politics of victimization and the social and political impact of political correctn ess. Shortly after an interview in 2004 she was awarded tenure.

________________________________________________________________________________


No He Can't
by Anne Wortham


Fellow Americans,


Please know: I am black; I grew up in the segregated South. I did not vote for Barack Obama; I wrote in Ron Paul's name as my choice for president. Most importantly, I am not race conscious. I do not require a black president to know that I am a person of worth, and that life is worth living. I do not require a black president to love the ideal of America .

I cannot join you in your celebration. I feel no elation. There is no smile on my face. I am not jumping with joy. There are no tears of triumph in my eyes. For such emotions and behavior to come from me, I would have to deny all that I know about the requirements of human flourishing and survival – all that I know about the history of the United States of America, all that I know about American race relations, and all that I know about Barack Obama as a politician. I would have to deny the nature of the "change" that Obama asserts has come to America . Most importantly, I would have to abnegate my certain understanding that you have chosen to sprint down the road to serfdom that we have been on for over a century. I would have to pretend that individual liberty has no value for the success of a human life. I would have to evade your rejection of the slender reed of capitalism on which your success and mine depend. I would have to think it somehow rational that 94 percent of the 12 million blacks in this country voted for a man because he looks like them (that blacks are permitted to play the race card), and that they were joined by self-declared "progressive" whites who voted for him because he doesn't look like them. I would have to be wipe my mind clean of all that I know about the kind of people who have advised and taught Barack Obama and will fill posts in his administration – political intellectuals like my former colleagues at the Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government.

I would have to believe that "fairness" is the equivalent of justice. I would have to believe that man who asks me to "go forward in a new spirit of service, in a new service of sacrifice" is speaking in my interest. I would have to accept the premise of a man that economic prosperity comes from the "bottom up," and who arrogantly believes that he can will i t into existence by the use of government force. I would have to admire a man who thinks the standard of living of the masses can be improved by destroying the most productive and the generators of wealth.

Finally, Americans, I would have to erase from my consciousness the scene of 125,000 screaming, crying, cheering people in Grant Park, Chicago irrationally chanting "Yes We Can!" Finally, I would have to wipe all memory of20all the times I have heard politicians, pundits, journalists, editorialists, bloggers and intellectuals declare that capitalism is dead – and no one, including especially Alan Greenspan, objected to their assumption that the particular version of the anti-capitalistic mentality that they want to replace with their own version of anti-capitalism is anything remotely equivalent to capitalism.


So you have made history, Americans. You and your children have elected a black man to the office of the president of the United States , the wounded giant of the world. The battle between John Wayne and Jane Fonda is over – and that Fonda won. Eugene McCarthy and George McGovern must be very happy men. Jimmie Carter, too. And the Kennedys have at last gotten their Kennedy look-a-like. The self-righteous welfare statists in the suburbs can feel warm moments of satisfaction for having elected a black person. So, toast yours elves: 60s countercultural radicals, 80s yuppies and 90s bourgeois bohemians. Toast yourselves, Black America . Shout your glee Harvard, Princeton , Yale, Duke, Stanford, and Berkeley. You have elected not an individual who is qualified to be president, but a black man who, like the pragmatist Franklin Roosevelt, promises to – Do Something! You now have someone who has picked up the baton of Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. But you have also foolishly traded your freedom and mine – what little there is left for the chance to feel good. There is nothing in me that can share your happy obliviousness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A black person voting for Ron Paul is like a Jew voting for David Duke.

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez, more Arcane libertarian drek. Looks like something from lewrockwell.com.

I used to lean libertarian until I got fed up with this stupid crybaby crap.

SJT said...

Anon: You're dead on. I googled this and the very first hit was from Lewrockwell.com.

This is some grade-A crybaby drivel. Freedom is dead, capitalism is dead, people voted for Obama soley because of the color of his skin, University folk are bad (except for the author, naturally). Blah blah blah.

I wonder, do we get an apology in 8 years when all of the horrible things that these people are predicting don't come to pass? I won't hold my breath.

Anonymous said...

I still prefer libertarians to Neo-Cons, because I feel like I could at least engage in a fact-based argument with a libertarian, even if we never saw eye-to-eye. And I at least admire libertarians for being consistent in their views: unlike Neo-Cons, they *really* want smaller government, not just smaller social services.

Then again, I don't care if you are a black woman who grew up in the segregated south. If you think that Ron Paul (a one-trick pony who claimed to stand for small government but who actually thought the state of Texas was right to ban gay sex) was qualified to be president, but Barack Obama wasn't, I don't think facts enter into your world view very often.

Anonymous said...

I really wish right wing retards would stop telling me that I voted for Obama because he's black. If that's true, then is it also true that everyone who voted for McCain did so because he is not black? Why is it so hard to believe that we voted for him because we agreed with his stand on the issues?

Also, while we're at it, please stop telling me that I voted for Obama because I got swept up in his rhetoric. That's just insulting.

Marc with a C said...

"I wonder, do we get an apology in 8 years when all of the horrible things that these people are predicting don't come to pass? I won't hold my breath."

No, but I can GUARANTEE you that any progress Obama is able to make in Iraq or on the Economy or, well...anything...will be celebrated as a continuation of Bush's great accomplishments.

Kinda like how the Clinton economy was due to 12 years of Reaganomics and the massive recession is all teh Clenis' fault.

 
Creative Commons License
MyRightWingDad.net is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.