FWD: A PENNY.....different from the other

Subject: A PENNY.....different from the other




A PENNY
You always hear the usual stories of pennies on the sidewalk being good luck,
gifts from angels, etc. This is the first time I've ever heard this twist on
the story.  Gives you something to think about.

Several years ago, a friend of mine and her husband were invited to spend the
weekend at the home of her husband's employer.
My friend, Arlene, was nervous about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy,
with a fine home on the waterway, and cars costing more than her house.

The first day and evening went well, and Arlene was delighted to have this rare
glimpse into how the very wealthy live. Her husband's employer was quite
generous as a host, and took them to the finest restaurants. Arlene knew she
would never have the opportunity to indulge in this kind of extravagance again,
so was enjoying herself immensely.

As the three of them were about to enter an exclusive restaurant one evening,
the boss was walking slightly ahead of Arlene and her husband.
He stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a long, silent moment.
Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him. There was nothing on the
ground except a single darkened penny that someone had dropped, and a few
cigarette butts. Still silent, the man reached down and picked up the penny.
He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket as if he had found a great
treasure.

How absurd! What need did this man have for a single penny? Why would he even
take the time to stop and pick it up?

Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her Finally, she could stand it
no longer. She casually mentioned that her daughter once had a coin collection,

and asked if the penny he had found had been of some value.

A smile crept across the man's face as he reached into his pocket for the penny
and held it out for her to see. She had seen many pennies before! What was the
point of this?

"Look at it," he said.. "Read what it says."
She read the words, " United States of America ..."

"No, not that. Read further."

"One cent?"
"No, keep reading."

"In God we Trust?"
"Yes!"
"And?. . .."

"And if I trust in God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin. Whenever I
find a coin, I see that inscription. It is written on every single United
States coin, but we never seem to notice it! God drops a message right in front
of me telling me to trust Him. Who am I to pass it by? When I see a coin, I
pray. I stop to see if my trust IS in God at that moment. I pick the coin up
as a response to God; that I do trust in Him. For a short time, at least, I
cherish it as if it were gold. I think it is God's way of starting a
conversation with me. Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful!"

When I was out shopping today, I found a penny on the sidewalk. I stopped and
picked it up, and realized that I had been worrying and fretting in my mind
about things I cannot change. I read the words, "In God We Trust," and had to
laugh. "Yes, God, I get the message!"

It seems that I have been finding an inordinate number of pennies in the last
few months, but then, pennies are plentiful! And, God is patient.



God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for
the way.

Read this line very slowly and let it sink in.

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

8 comments:

Thomas said...

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Anonymous said...

It’s nice to see some right wingers have discovered “In God we Trust” is still on our coins. Now if they can just convince the ones that think it’s been removed maybe we’re on the road to educating them.

ferschitz said...

Are these people who wax lyrical about having the word "God" on a penny the same people who wax lyrical about how it's great to murder those who don't agree with you? Is the "God" that's inscribed on the penny the same "God" who smiles on the notion of murdering random people just bc you don't like them? Do people who agree with this fictional fairy tale about the name of "God" on a penny also agree with the notion that murder is great and justified and should be celebrated when you're discussing murdering people that either aren't "like" you or are people that you don't like or don't agree with you? Do these same people go to Church on Sunday and pray to this "God" to endorse their viewpoints on murdering others? OR if, after celebrating how GREAT it is to murder people you don't like, you then walk down the street and see a penny & get all misty-eyed because "God" is inscribed on it, does it mean that celebrating murder doesn't matter??? And somehow this same "God" is now OK with you murdering someone simply because your political viewpoints are different?

Genesis 9:6

Inquiring minds need to know.

MrCreosote said...

Great observation fershitz. The hypocrisy they display, without a hint of irony, is staggering. From my observations, the most overtly "Christian" types I run into are ones that invoke their religion as a badge to their virtue and are pious on sundays...yet they're the most selfish, me me me, nastiest SOB's to everybody the rest of the week.

Oh, and yes, the corny vapidity of this horrible missive about had me doing the dry heaves myself.

Thx 4 Fish said...

The lesson: Rich people are AWESOME because they love God and they treat with reverence anything with God's name on it, especially money.

Anonymous said...

Thx 4 Fish I think got that. Strange how this story about a rich religious guy forgot about the camel/eye of needle rich guy/heaven thing.

gruaud said...

Good comments; Thx 4 fish and ferschitz win the internets for this particular thread.

Anonymous said...

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

What about the 300+ people who were killed in those Alabama tornadoes? I guess God couldn't "bring them through it" because he was too busy leaving pennies for rich people.

 
Creative Commons License
MyRightWingDad.net is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.