Fw: Laminins

----- Original Message -----



Subject: Laminins




shared by an anonymous doctor

A couple of days ago I was running (I use that term very loosely) on
my treadmill, watching a DVD sermon by Louie Gi glio... And I was
BLOWN AWAY! I want to share what I learned.... But I fear not being
able to convey it as well as I want. I will share anyway.

He (Louie) was talking about how inconceivably BIG our God is... How
He spoke the universe into being... How He breathes stars out of His
mouth that are huge raging balls of fire.. . Etc. Etc. Then He went on
to speak of how this star-breathing, universe creating God ALSO
knitted our human bodies together with amazing detail and wonder. At
this point I am LOVING it (fascinating from a medical standpoint, you
know.)... And I was remembering how I was constantly amazed during
medical school as I learned more and more about God's handiwork. I
remember so many times thinking... 'How can ANYONE deny that a Creator
did all of this???'

Louie went on to talk about how we can trust that the God who created
all this, also has the power to hold it all together when things seem
to be falling apart..how our loving Creator is also our sustainer.

And then I lost my breath. And it wasn't because I was running my
treadmill, either!!!
It was because he started talking about laminin. I knew about laminin.
Here is how Wikipedia describes them: 'Laminins are a family of
proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of
basement membranes in almost every animal tissue.' You see... Laminins
are what hold us together.. LITERALLY. They are cell adhesion
molecules. They are what holds one cell of our bodies to the next
cell. Without them, we would literally fall apart. And I knew all this
already. But what I didn't know is what they LOOKED LIKE.

But now I do. And I have thought about it a thousand times since
(already)... Here is what the structure of laminin looks like... AND
THIS IS NOT a 'Christian portrayal' of it... If you look up laminin in
any scientific/medical piece of literature, this is what you will see...

Now tell me that our God is not the coolest!!! Amazing. The glue that
holds us together..... ALL of us.... Is in the shape of the cross.
Immediately Colossians 1:15-17 comes to mind.

'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all
creation. For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on
earth, visible And invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or
authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before
all things, and in Him all things HOLD TOGETHER. ' (Colossians 1:15-17)
Call me crazy. I just think that is very, very, very cool. Thousands
of years before the world knew anything about laminin, Paul penned
those words. And now we see that from a very LITERALstandpoint, we are
held together... One cell to another... By the cross. You would never
in a quadrillion years convince me that is anything Other than the
mark of a Creator who knew EXACTLY what laminin 'glue' would look like
long before Adam breathed his first breath!!

Check it out below on Snopes & on Truth or Fiction
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/laminin.asp and
http://ss659.fusionbot.com/cgi-bin/ss_query?keys=laminin&sitenbr
0222903






6 comments:

Snarla said...

It's in the shape of a cross, symbolizing Jesus's sacrifice to redeem all people...and chimpanzees, and boa constrictors. Did Jesus die for their sins, too?

Er, and the diagram of the molecule doesn't look quite exactly like the real thing. The real thing on the Snopes page looks like a Chinese ideogram.

I can't wait until someone finds one that looks like the word "Allah."

gruaud said...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/04/molecular_biology_for_babbling.php

ferschitz said...

It also looks like the chakras concept as taught in Yoga traditions and Indian medicine, which also relates to traditional Chinese medicine and the notion of Chi.

ho hum. Thanks for other references, Gruaud. Does anyone else here feel like this was written by some golly-gee 11 year old?

Anonymous said...

[IMG]http://www.snopes.com/glurge/graphics/laminin3.jpg[/IMG]

Marc with a C said...

Awesome! Now if I could just find a way to get my Midichlorian count up.

katz said...

*shrug* It's a fine metaphor, and fine as a devotional sort of reminder. Not really scientific evidence or anything, but then, the article (and, probably, the original sermon) don't seem to be taking it as such.

 
Creative Commons License
MyRightWingDad.net is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.