FWD: Gun Control - Cake Story

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. I received it from the 2nd amendment and the Dick Act of 1902.
Along you come and say, "Give me that cake." I say, "No, it's my cake." You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake. Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.
There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake." I say, "No, it's my cake." You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake. And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

You say, "Let's compromise once more." What do I get out of this compromise? I get to keep one eighth of the cake I already own? So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Machine gun ban of 1986 -- and I'm left holding what is now just an eighth of my cake.
I sit back in the corner with just my eighth of cake that I once owned outright and completely, I glance up and here you come once more. You say nothing and just grab my cake; This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY **** CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.
Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble),
 the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble),
 the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM),
 the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)
I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise".
I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise".


Author unknown.

11 comments:

LiberalGunner said...

I wonder if I'm the only sane person that owns guns. Yes it is in the constitution but I don't think everyone is able to dance at that party. Background checks yes please. Waiting periods silly but what is the hurry? "Assault Weapons" banning things for cosmetic features is dumb in my book. Machine Gun ban this I agree with. Licensed firearm owners and national conceal carry? Sure have one blanket set of rules and that covers it. Open carry? Really you need to show everyone what you have?

Anonymous said...

This is insane. All those acts together don't equal two fingers worth of frosting scraped from the top of this stupid "cake".

Are these people serious? Gun and ammo sales are through the fucking roof, we can't even agree on something as simple and common sense as a system of universal background checks, and yet they're trying to claim that somehow they have only a tiny fraction of their "gun rights" left?

Or is it possible they just really, really suck a math and have no idea how fractions actually work?

Anonymous said...

LOL the machine gun ban of 1986? Are they f'n serious!? Oh yes, how unreasonable of the government(excuse me, gub'mint for you baggers) to outlaw MACHINE GUNS!

gruaud said...

"I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise"."

You were never reasonable and you are the most uncompromising bunch in the United States, so spare us your insane analogies.

gruaud said...

"I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise"."

You were never reasonable and you are the most uncompromising bunch in the United States, so spare us your insane analogies.

gruaud said...

Sorry for double post, got hung up in server.

CharlieE said...

You know what? I'm tired of the slaughter and I don't give a damn about you or your guns.

Give me all of your cake. I offer nothing in return.

Anonymous said...

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/today-in-responsible-gun-ownership-092413

Mr_Creosote said...

"Author Unknown"

How convenient.

Anonymous said...

The source appears to be a blogger, apparently a Texas cop. Posted in Sept. 2010, which is just after the courts struck down several gun control laws around the country.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 sounds very reasonable, definitely didn't ban HALF of all guns, and in any case, the problematic bits were rolled back in the Firearm Owners' Protection Act.

Funny that Clinton's executive orders on gun control are mentioned but not George Bush Sr.'s, nor is Dubya's lack of the same.

The Lautenberg Act only bans selling guns to convicted domestic abusers.

According to Wikipedia, felons made up almost half of gun sales blocked by the Brady Act, and almost no one is prosecuted for it.

The School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act was never passed.

How odd that this article doesn't mention any of the times "we" hand the cake back to this guy. But then, his answer to "How do you keep felons from owning guns?" is, "Throw them in jail!" So I doubt we can expect much critical thought on the matter.

Anonymous said...



IMPEACH THE LIAR-IN-CHIEF! NOW!

 
Creative Commons License
MyRightWingDad.net is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.